I’m not a big gear head. The camera is a tool that I use to get the job done and they almost never affect the final image. Often my equipment is capable of far more than I use it for but there isn’t an option to get rid of all fad stuff and still keep the speed, resolution, sensor quality and weather sealing I require as a travel and landscape photographer. Anyway, this is a comprehensive list of whats in a Nikon photographers camera bag on any given shoot.
- Think Tank airport international – I use this to carry all my fragile equipment as carry on. Its really well made, rugged, perfectly fits all my essential gear and I can roll it which is a major bonus. Unless I am shooting a commercial job this will usually stay in the hotel.
- Lowpro Protactic BP 450 AW II is my in the field bag. This will generally be checked in on flights with none breakable equipment and general stuff I may need. Once on location this will carry all the cameras, lenses, filters etc I need for the day.
- 2 x Nikon D850 – I still use my Nikon D850 as my primary camera but this could all change as get more use to shooting with the Z7
- Nikon Z7 mirrorless
- Nikon 17-35mm f2.8
- Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR
- Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 – This is my walk around lens.
- Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 S
- Nikon 70-200mm f4
- Nikon 35mm f1.4
- Nikon 50mm f1.4
- Nikon 85mm f1.4
- Nikon Z7
- Sony A7iii
- DJI Mavic Pro 2 – I loved the Mavic 1 but the additional quality of the sensor and lens in the 2 make this drone far more useful in producing hi selling images
- Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 with ball head – I love everything about this tripod. Very sturdy but extremely light weight.
- Joby Gorilla Pod
- Lee 100 filter holder
- Lee ND Grad filters – 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 medium and soft filters – There is not many landscape shots that don’t have one of these filters on the front of the lens.
- Lee little stopper
- Lee Big stopper
- Lee Landscape polarizer
- B+W UV filters
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Photoshop
Storage / Backup
- Sandisk extreme SSD – Hands down the best storage option I have ever used.
- Sony 32GB XQD cards x 8
- Sandisk extrme Pro 300mb 64GB SD cards x 4
- Photo Pills app
- Lens cleaning cloths
- L Bracket for portrait orientation on my tripod
- Peak Design shoulder strap
- Peak Design wrist strap
- A piece of cardboard about the size of an A4 piece of paper to block sun flair
So there you have it, that’s whats in a Nikon photographers camera bag.
Want to join me on a shoot?
I run photography workshops, tours and holidays all over the world with That Wild Idea. For more information on any of these tours or to join my mailing list to be the first to know when we announce a new tour or product please get in touch here.